May 19, 2010

Summer Reading List V1.0

This summer I have vowed to read every day.

Now, I know this seems like a bit of a big commitment, but I know I can do it. During the summer months I have a lot of down time, and this summer I have vowed to do something productive with it.

Right now I have a handful of books on my shelves that I have bought because they were either a really good deal (can't beat $4.99 books at Urban Outfitters), or I just saw sitting on the racks at B&N, or Changing Hands and knew I had to have for my collection (oh yes, I collect books). Either way, I have quite a few book sitting around that I for sure need to read this summer.

Right now my list consists of:

Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger
Franny and Zooey- J. D. Salinger
Extremely Loud, and Incredibly Close- Jonathan Safran Foer
Slaugtherhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut
The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
The Last Summer (of You and Me)- Ann Brashares

So far I've already started on Her Fearful Symmetry, and already adore it. I just love the way Niffenegger writes, so morbid, but yet so full of love at the same time.

Do you have a summer reading list? If so, what's on? Do you have any suggestions for me?

-Chels (the book nerd) xoxo

13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Franny and Zooey! Have you read The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? Those are two of my favorite reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally recommend The Fountainhead & Atlas Shrugged. Like the previous commenter, those are two my all-time favorites. & just in case you're interested, I made a list here: http://literateandstylish.tumblr.com/post/605354971/hello-what-books-are-you-reading-now-or-any-that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison- I haven't read either of those, but my boyfriend for sure has them in his collection! Thanks for the suggestions!

    Cara-Mia- Loved your little list! I really want to read Eat, Pray, Love as well. Thank you for the suggestions :] PS Sending out a package for you tomorrow :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. book nerds for life!

    franny and zooey is great, but i'm kind of a salinger freak.

    i've been muddling through the fountainhead since i was 18. it's really good, but i just get easily distracted by a more compact, less thoughtful book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Extremely Loud, and Incredibly Close is AMAZING!!!

    You should read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
    and for funsies easy scary read.. Velocity by Dean Koontz
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. slaughterhouse 5 is a wonderful book! kurt vonnegut jr is one of my favorite authors!

    I, too, am soooo behind on my reading because of school, work, and my art.

    ..oh poo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books, I read at least one hour every day. Right now two books that came into mind for you to read are "The People of Paper" by Salvador Plascencia and "Adverbs" by Daniel Handler. If you want to read only one book this summer then "Infinite Jest" is the way to go, as it will take a full three months to read but is WAY worth it. David Foster Wallace is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a lot of the books you have picked out are so good! you are going to love them.
    i also love:
    everything is illuminated by jonathan safran foer
    &
    the history of love by nicole krauss (foer's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great plan for the summer! I should do the same. I definitely can make reading time happen at the gym. I love love love John Irving. The Cider House Rules is amazing, but my favorite of his is A Prayer for Owen Meany. It literally changed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Journals Of Plath are amazing :)

    Hum, join the Slow Readers! The books they read are great. The last book was Alice I Was By Melanie Benjamin and it was a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chelsey- I really want to read The Foutainhead as well. Scott has it in his collection.

    Kevi- I really want to read Water For Elephants! I heard they're making it into a movie :]

    Caroline- Hope you find more time to read soon :]

    Rikki- Thank you for the suggestions, and it was nice running into you yesterday :]

    Katrina- Oh those sound like great books! Thanks for the suggestions!

    Kara- Thanks for the suggestions, I really want to read The Cider House Rule :]

    Impressions...- I'm so excited to read the journals more (I've already started!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut.

    I am a huge bookworm and it seems that the more literature I am exposed to, the more difficult it is for me to be impressed (there are a lot of crappy books out there!) But this Vonnegut book had me laughing embarrassingly to myself.

    Just randomly stumbled upon your blog. Glad to see that there are still readers out there!

    ReplyDelete