March 9, 2011

Gammage Auditorium

In Arizona we are lucky enough to have so many wonderful buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Scott is a big fan of his work, and loves to tell me about all the neat FLW buildings and houses in our area. The closest FLW designed building is just a few streets down from where I live, and is situated on corner of the ASU Tempe campus.


Top: Levi's; Necklace: Gift from Dolly & Boy Jewelry; Skirt: Vintage Pendleton/gift from Scott; Butter wedges: c/o Blowfish Shoes


Sunglasses: Ray Bans; Shirt: Levi's; Necklace: Dolly & Boy Jewelry; Jeans: Levi's; Shoes: TOMS


Grady Gammage Auditorium was built in 1964, one of FLW's last designs, and was named for the famous Arizona State College president that lead a campaign to have ASC changed to Arizona State University. The building was built to be acoustical perfect as possible, and today houses a space for the numerous plays and Broadway acts that come through Arizona every year.




FLW is famous for using items found in the area to create his structures. Gammage is no exception, with it's copper rods and other naturally found Arizona materials.


Blowfish Shoes was kind enough to send me these beautiful Butter wedges to style up. I've never been much of a heel wearer, but this spring I decided that it might be fun to work a few pair of wedges into my wardrobe. Standing at 5 foot 4 and 1/2, a little height is kind of nice sometimes.


I'm really loving these wedges though. They are super comfortable to walk in, and look great with jeans, skirts, and dresses. Can't wait to style them more!




Scott and I wore these outfits to Phoenix's monthly First Friday Art Walk. Scott and I have been attending First Fridays for many years now, and just love going out to visit our friends and support/check out the art shows that are going on in the galleries in the area.




Do you have any Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in your area?
-Chelsea

14 comments:

  1. you look so cute and classic here.
    i adore blowfish shoes oh so much!! just got back from cuba and wore my blowfish sandals most of the time :) they're great because you never have to break them in, it's like they are already broken in for you and therefore NO blisters!! hurray :) anyway, look outfit post as always miss chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those shoes are so cute! and you look great, love the long skirt, so timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your shoes look so comfy and stylish! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wedges are really cute and unique! I've never seen anything like them. They look like they were made just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE!!!! Love the outfit! And I'm impressed at how well you pulled off that skirt length, not many people can! Cute as ever my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we have any where I'm from, but I wish we did! I love your shoes, too. Such a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you both look great. and i'm a big fan of frank too, haven't had the opportunity to see any in person yet. have you been to falling waters? ps. how do you make time for all these adorable mini dates? amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Gammage! I think it looks like a cupcake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love gammage too. and FLW. have you been to taliesen west?

    those wedges are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That grey skirt is fabulous. The shoes are interesting although I'm not one for velcro. Now on to the architect: I can't believe that building was built so recently. It really isn't aging well, and that is a common complaint about Wright's monstrosities. They are not practical, besides being tacky and down"wright" ugly. Falling Water, for instance, was nicknamed Rising Mildew by the owner--built smack-dab over a creek. To me, the interiors are even worse than the exterior appearance. Many of them are dark, sterile, unwelcoming and depressing! It seems to me his output appeals more to men. Fine, they can have them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ARGHHH! Those cheesy arches! Those pseudo-swags! The protruding facade seams. The hideous paint job. Those bizarre tubular items! Only 40 years old and it looks like an abandoned carousel at a sagebrush-covered defunct theme park.

    ReplyDelete
  12. big fan of the wedges! great outfit to pair them with and they would be super versatile for a wardrobe. thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete