April 8, 2011

Terrarium Class

A few weeks ago (right before the Arizona Blogger Meet-up) Scott and I attended a terrarium making class at a local art store/gallery, hosted by our Grow-Op buddies Josh and Kenny.









Made Art Boutique where the class was held (it was actually inside the Eye Lounge but they're connected).

The class was pretty small, and Josh and Kenny did a great job of leading the group through the layers that were needed in a healthy terrarium.


Scott had fun sampling all the different dirt (just kidding!).



Scott and I had a lot of fun learning about the layers of a terrarium, and putting ours together. It was fun layering all the different kinds of dirt and rock, and trying to slip the little plant in the jar without breaking it. We also both really loved the jars we had to create them in. Pretty vintage jars with amazing original lids! Perfect!



We were both really excited when we finished our terrariums. After making these we have big plans to one day make moss based terrariums (I see another class on the horizon, Josh and Kenny!).





Since taking our terrariums home mine has somehow starting to grow a white fuzz (most likely mold) in the very bottom of it. I'm thinking about taking to Kenny and Josh at the Grow-Op to see if they can help make it better. I'm not ready for it to die just yet! I have a better green thumb than that!

Have you ever made a terrarium before? If not, are you interested in learning about them?
-Chelsea

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How do I sign up for a class like this? I would love to do that! Especially with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love terrariums! I've been bookmarking any blog post related to them lately. It seems kind of intimidating... For example, is it a year round kind of project? What could be used in a winter terrarium? How long do they live?

    Looks like a fun class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such cute style. I've been wanting a little terrarium of my own. It would be perfect for indoors and my kitties won't be able to destroy it. I'm a new follower of your blog. Would love for you to check out mine when you have the time.
    xo-AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love terrariums! My Dad had zillions of them in our house when we were all growing up. Tiny ones and larger ones with live frogs and lizards. They were so magical.
    I'm actually having a terrarium set giveaway on my blog for rainbow mushrooms, noodles and flowers.
    You should stop by and enter. It ends on April 30th.
    http://polymerplaytime.blogspot.com/2011/04/giveaway-rainbow-terrarium-set.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I actually made a few of them last week, they're so easy and so cute! I have succulents all over my apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I want to make one to :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, after meeting you and Scott, and watching Scott and Rasha make the planted succulents, I love the idea of making terrariums with with kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like such a fun class! I really want to make one. There are gorgeous terrariums pics on the web!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made a terrarium before, but I would love to learn! What a great project, a fun date and an awesome treasure to bring home! It looks like you guys had a great time! I especially like the picture of Scott eating the dirt... Mmmmm, dirt!


    MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog here. I also love terrariums. I made one before, and let a couple bugs live inside it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! And I LOVED it! But then my plant kept growing and growing and growing until it looked really creepy and I had to get rid of it. I wonder what the trick is to keeping them small. Hmmm...

    Yours looks amazing. I hope you can save it!

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely amazing.
    they would make really cool center pieces at a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, this looks fantastic.. I

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you and Scott are so crafty TOGETHER. It'd take so much effort to try to get Aaron to come with me to make terrariums. Holy cow. I've always wanted one though! You should totally send me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. very cool! I wanna learn more about these layers, I cant wait to try making one

    ReplyDelete